Today, walk-in clinics have become increasingly important. Many people just can’t endure the waiting time needed to get treatment at a clinic or hospital. At a walk-in clinic, you can get checked for your injury or illness without having to worry about scheduling an appointment. They have medical professionals that work even on weekends and late nights to ensure that you feel comfortable.
Benefits That Come With a Walk-In Clinic:
- Convenient: Many walk-in clinics boast of this benefit primarily because of their longer working hours. These clinics are open on weekends and evenings when typical clinics are not available. These clinics allow patients to just come in and wait for the doctor to see them. If your schedule is hectic on weekdays and you’ve got the weekends only for seeing the doctor, then walk-in clinics are a great option.
- Quick Attention: A typical hospital requires a lengthy procedure where you need to wait at an emergency room, check in at the front desk, and wait for hours until the doctor calls on you. A walk-in clinic differs from this setup since the waiting lines are minimized. If you’re seeing the doctor only for a minor issue, there’s no need to wait alongside other patients with more urgent cases.
- Doctors assigned at walk-in clinics don’t need to see your complete medical history to provide appropriate medical attention. They are more concerned about your immediate health issue and how to provide treatment. They will also communicate with your family doctor to give a record of your attendance to the walk-in clinic. Walk-in clinic doctors can also make referrals to specialists if required.
- Qualified Professionals: Walk-in clinics are usually attended by registered professional nurses, licensed physicians, and qualified assistants that ensure you receive high-quality care. Patients don’t have to wait for their family doctor or need to request for a referral from other doctors or facilities just to be entertained. You only need to present to them your government-issued health card.
- Because walk-in clinics are operated by qualified medical professionals, you can be sure that they can provide the right care needed for your condition. These health professionals also work together with specialists to help ensure that their services won’t place their patients at risk. Upon their assessment, they can refer you to a specialist or a hospital to address your needs immediately.
- Reduces Emergency Room Queues: Overcrowding at the emergency room is a common issue in most hospitals. If you’re seeing the doctor for an earache, toothache, or rashes, you won’t be willing to wait for hours because it’s just unacceptable. This is where a walk-in clinic is beneficial. It allows patients with minor medical concerns to be seen immediately, which frees up the lines in emergency rooms for more serious injuries.
- Access to Laboratory Services. Walk-in clinics provide convenient and easy access to diagnostic and laboratory services whenever needed. These services include X-rays, diagnostic imaging, laboratory, and disease testing. These services will help ensure that your medical issue is given timely action so that you feel healthy again in the soonest time possible. Doctors can also prescribe medications for your condition, and some of these clinics have pharmacies where you can immediately purchase your needed medications.
- Affordable: Walk-in clinics usually set reasonable prices to help their patients enjoy convenient, high-quality, yet affordable services. When compared to emergency room services, which can incur expensive rates, walk-in clinics charge a lower rate.
- Flexible: Most specialty clinics require patients to make an appointment first before seeing their specialists. However, a walk-in clinic works differently as you can simply come to the clinic and have a doctor see you for your concern. It can be fussy setting appointments in regular clinics since your schedule may not always be open. But with a walk-in clinic, you can come on weekends or at night if you’re bothered by your condition.
- Always Available: More and more walk-in clinics are established each day, so there’s no need to worry about finding one within your location. If you feel sick at night and need to see a doctor right away, there’s no need to worry because you can drive to the nearest walk-in clinic and be sure that your concern will be addressed. While other health clinics are not available on weekends, you can still get immediate care from walk-in clinics.
- Convenient Locations: Most walk-in clinics are made to help people address common illnesses without the need to go to the emergency room. They are usually strategically located near residential places to make sure that patients can easily drive to and from these clinics.
It’s no fun being sick, and any patient wants to be treated right away. With the help of walk-in clinics, you can have your condition checked by a licensed health professional without waiting in line at the emergency room. At a fraction of the cost, you can find relief for your concern at your most convenient time.
Mehrtash Amini graduated from medical school in 2003 and completed his Family Medicine Residency program at University of British Columbia following with two year return of service in a rural hospital and outpatient clinic.